Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Everyone's a Teacher














Heard some of you have been dropping by and I wasn't in. So so sorry... pls gimme a call and let me know so we can have that pic... I would just love to capture a snapshot of each of you in my mind and also as a memory of how blessed I am. I know that in my senior years to come, apart from my family life, I will look back and truly say to myself these have been the most wonderful years, sharing with you about my life and stories, helping you with your studies and having a laugh with you.

I'm not posting all pics cos some have super strongly requested not to put it up on my blog. Ha ha ok. Respect that. So here are some taken today... Angela, Desmond, me at my desk (3E1 your flower is in the pic!), Mr Anbu (who's been a real wonderful mentor and friend every since I first came to Sengkang Sec - thanks so much bro I'm gonna miss you - really hope you don't mind me posting your pic... you've been just a terrific buddy and I want to share that with others!). Thanks for the card, Melissa! Will keep it and treasure the lovely thoughts...

A few of you texted me about seeing me before i go. Guys, it's ok if you're working or busy. i understand and its the thought that counts. My official last day is 2 June (mon). I'll be in abt 9 or 10am on mon, and out prolly by 11 or 12pm latest. And then it's "adios amigos" as a current school teacher!!!

Since we're on this topic, I'd like to share with you a story.

After my 1st son came into the world, i read a poster about a man walking at the beach in the sand with a boy coming along from behind, stretching out his steps as he tried to put his feet in the man's footprints. Inscribed on the poster was a poem "A Little Man Follows Me." Its words have impacted me greatly over the years. Now I share them with you.

A Little Man Follows Me

by Lee Fisher

A careful man I want to be,
A little fellow follows me;
I do not dare to go astray,
For fear he'll go the self-same way.
-
I cannot once escape his eyes,
Whate're he sees me do, he tries;
Like me he says he's going to be,
The little chap who follows me.
-
He thinks that I am good and fine,
Believes in every word of mine,
The base in me he must not see,
The little chap who follows me.
-
I must remember as I go,
Through summer's sun and winter's snow;
I am building for the years to be
That little chap who follows me.
-
I've realised the most important profession in the world is parenting. The second is teaching, and EVERYONE is a teacher to someone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey pinto,

found your blog through the kids. was kinda shocked by your decision to leave the service. would like to know more as to why and your future plans.

anyway, i had a sms conversation with machik khalidal about this matter about everyone being a teacher just before i left for thailand!

and we came to this conclusion: we didn't make an impact on them, as much as they made an impact on us.

aku wish you all the best in whatever you do.

yanjie

Anonymous said...

Hey YanJie, tks for the post! You're absolutely right! They have certainly made a difference in my life. The teacher becomes the student in a way, if you know what I mean.

Wish you have a safe and pleasant journey ahead.

Pinto

Ken said...

Mr pinto! you're leaving today huh.. i thought i could go to school to see you.. but... i woke up at 1:40... haha.. take care!


Ken