Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Excuse me, I've got cancer and I'm a survivor"

Today I was talking to a friend. She's about my age and has been through a lot of challenges in her life. The latest is cancer. I wish you could meet her and hear her story. I asked and she gave me permission to share a bit about her on my blog.

She shared about how her life is so precious to her now, and she wants to pass the message to people she meets that you have to treasure every moment and make the best of your time whatever you do. And how we should really take care of our health from young! She shared with me her sufferings and how much she's spent so far on treatments alone (over $30k). And how she's scared because she can have a relapse anytime.

She was laid off work and had difficulty finding a job after her chemotherapy. I felt sorry for her. So I thought for a moment how I could help her without letting her feel like I was doing it just because I felt sorry for her. I shared with her my business plan and offered her to join me if she felt she was up to it. "After all, I'm looking for a good secretary," I winked.

Just wanted to share that this lady has such an optimism about her. It certainly made me reflect on my life when I was with her. I wonder what would I do differently if I was told I had cancer or some incurable disease?

What would you do differently? Lets not wait until we should hear such news. I hope we don't contract any terminal illnesses, but I hope you and I learn to live life to the fullest.

No comments: