Saturday, June 14, 2008

Father's Day

It's Father's Day.

I'm grateful for the gift of Fatherhood. I'm far from being a perfect father. I do feel disappointed in myself sometimes when I fall short of being the kind of father I strive to be. A father's work is a great responsibility. Say what you will... to be a father isn't easy. Especially when it comes to role modeling and wanting what's best for their kids.

I know my Dad did his best to raise us. And now I understand the rotans I received were necessary when I did those regrettably dumb things when I was a lot younger. Like breaking my brother's album (its like a cd) because he took my toy. Whack! Like secretly throwing away the green vegetables I was supposed to eat into the garden. Whack! Like losing my brother's expensive bicycle which he bought with his own money. Double whack! Though it was painful (the rotans), I see now that it was my father's love behind it that made me realise right from wrong. His motives were the best for me, to grow up into the kind of person he would be proud of.

I'm sure your Dads are proud of you, although they may not say it. They are doing their very best for you. You are their child, a precious one in your father's (and mother's) eyes. No matter what.

Read this again: You are special, precious and beautiful in their eyes. No matter what.

Forgive us, your fathers, if we fall short of your expectations, we are just doing our best, in the best way we know how.

Hey, if your Dad is still around, it's a great day to give your Dad a hug, tell them that you love them or just say thank you. And its never too late even after today, but just find the courage and do it. As difficult and awkward as it is for you.

Hey Dad-o. You're far far away, but know that I truly love you.

No comments: