Friday, June 6, 2008

The WALL

We all face personal challenges in our lives. A personal challenge is something like an obstacle that needs to be resolved or addressed before we can "move on" with our lives and be at ease again. For one person, this could be overcoming the death of a very close relative. For another, it could be failing the exams and facing the possibility of repeating a year or not qualifying for poly/JC. For another, it could be detecting they have cancer.

I just want to share what's important is not the challenge itself, but how we DEAL with such challenges.

I call my personal challenge an invisible but very real obstacle known as the wall.

These last few days have been quite tough for me. I've hit the wall. The wall blocks my path and says "it's impossible to move on." Have you ever felt like there was something you so strongly believed in, but somehow there was something in the way that told you it wouldn't work? In my case, it makes me almost want to either give up or turn around and abandon my plans and ideas. And I'm NOT the kind to quit so easily. I've encountered the wall before in a different time and place. It almost stopped my hopes and dreams then. Fortunately back then, I persisted and barely made it past my wall.

These days I face another wall. It's different from before, and it's a huge one. I've been trying to break my wall. But I just can't seem to. It's like a brick wall. It's blocking me from moving forward, laughing in my face and tempting me to give up. I feel physically, mentally and emotionally drained, and my creative juices to resolve this seems to have stopped flowing. I have no idea how I'm going to get through this one.



I went home. My youngest son Rafa, upon seeing me at the playground, ran to me and upon reaching me, threw his small arms over me and gave me the biggest hug a two year old could give. He shouted "Hi Dad!" and smiled.

I needed that. Now I'm feeling a 100% better. I'm refueled now and charged again. I'm going to face my wall again tomorrow, and over the next few weeks. This time, if I can't break it down, I'm going to do whatever I can to climb over, go under or move around it. Although I don't have the answers yet to overcome my wall, I KNOW I'm going to get past it.

The wall has robbed the hopes and dreams of many people. What will YOU do when you encounter your wall?

I hope you will not give up, but persist and find a way to break it. If not, jump over, go under or walk around it!

You can overcome your walls, too!

I once shared this song in my form class of 5Ns in 2006 before they graduated (in the last lap of preparations before their O Levels). It's a song about going the distance, with a never-say-quit "fighting to the end" spirit. A song for survivors.

Now I'd like to share it with all of you. It's a favourite of mine called "Eye of the Tiger." This was the theme song to Rocky III. In the movie, Rocky Balboa is living the good life and slacking in his training. In contrast were scenes of his competitor Mr. T, training hard, sweating, bleeding and pouring out every last ounce of effort to become the boxing champion of the world. After the death of Rocky's trainer, Rocky's friend Apollo Creed, tells Rocky to get back "The Eye Of The Tiger," meaning his edge and his hunger to be the champ once again.

Maybe you know someone who is going through a tough time. Share with them this song and what it means, direct them to read the lyrics and this post on my blog. Also you can send me an email if you wish to share your personal experiences of getting through your own challenges. I'd love to hear from you.

I've included the song lyrics at the bottom left.


I chose this Rocky V pic cos I like the image of victory displayed.

No comments: